The Dream Kept

Another love poem about my husband of 11 years.

Long ago, 'neath fragrant pines, those scented giants in moonlight bathed,
Sat I and wondered if this life would leave my dreamer's heart unscathed.

It ached to love, to give, to sigh sweet breaths of tender yearning.
But years passed by.   I loved, I lost, I went on as Time was turning

To almost lose Love's perfect Dream, one my heart would surely claim
To shake those Carolina Pines, kiss old Moon, to never be the same.

                                      But I kept my dream....

Time moved me far from home. No fragrant pines nor misty moons to see.
Desert Oasis, flatland farms, heat, strangers, all became life for me.

Turning Time had buried my heart -  almost, where Old Dreams should not lie,
"Will a Perfect love be here for me ?" yet stubbornly wondered I.

Are there yet knights riding forth upon this desolate oasis land
Who would woo and win by chivalry my Dreamstruck maiden's hand?

                                   And I kept my dream.....

Then one day a knight dressed not in steel nor velvet, gazed upon the sky,
Saw there a rainbow, a promise, and ventured forth to woo the maiden, who was I.

He was but a Denver widower who sought virture, true honor and more
Never knowing of the maiden's dream, near lost, that had vexed her sore.

But once met, seeing her beauty, knew him his wish fulfilled, his search at end
To find the lady of his dreams, at first he'd wished only to make a friend.

                                    He too had a dream...

Now, shake Old Pines, smile Old Moon, and laugh with me this night.
I found my dream, where it always was, in prairie's desert light.

Far better dream than I had dreamed is here in my shaking hand
A knight of a man, with a gallant heart, tied with a yellow band

Who gives my Dream meaning anew, and my dreamer's heart a home
Thank you Moon for this "Denver widower", a Dream to call my own.

My husband William

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Funniest Squirrel Story You Ever Heard!

Bonnie Scotland